Specialist appointments through company health insurance – efficient and accessible Contents With its corporate health insurance (bKV), Hallesche Krankenversicherung offers a comprehensive solution to specialist
LASIK surgery: a clear view of the future
Modern medicine has made amazing progress in recent decades, especially in the field of ophthalmology. One of the most revolutionary developments in this field is LASIK surgery, which has helped millions of people worldwide to live without glasses or contact lenses. In this article we will look at LASIK surgery, its benefits and risks, what eye surgery costs and how to get reimbursed.
What is LASIK surgery?
67% of adults in Germany wear a visual aid, according to the Central Association of Opticians and Optometrists. Vision is one of the most basic physical abilities that significantly influences our quality of life. Those who have limited vision, i.e. short-sightedness or long-sightedness, have the option of undergoing LASIK surgery.
LASIK surgery (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis) to improve vision is the most common eye surgery in the world and is a mostly complication-free, painless procedure lasting a few minutes. Using eye lasers, the middle corneal lamella is remodeled, which helps to achieve new vision.
How does LASIK surgery work?
This type of eye surgery aims to correct the refractive properties of the eye by modifying the shape of the cornea. Here is a basic idea of what happens during this eye surgery:
- Preparation of the eye: The patient is locally anesthetized to avoid any discomfort. Then a special instrument called a microkeratome is used, and a thin cap is cut from the cornea.
- Laser treatment: The cap is flipped open, exposing the corneal lamellae. Thus, the layers of the inner cornea can be reached with the laser light. The laser beam works on the eye, creating a smooth corneal surface and cancelling the refractive error.
- Recovery: The previously created little cap is gently folded back.
- Completion of the procedure: the eyes heal quickly, and in most cases no suturing or bandaging is required. Patients usually feel an improvement in their vision within a few hours.
The advantages of LASIK surgery
- Fast results: Most patients experience a dramatic improvement in their vision immediately after LASIK surgery.
- Long-lasting results: Most people who undergo LASIK surgery enjoy years of clear vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses.
- Minimal pain and downtime: The eye surgery itself is nearly painless, and most people can go about their normal activities within a few days.
- Wide application: LASIK can be used to correct short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism.
Risks and considerations of LASIK surgery
Although LASIK is a safe and effective option for correcting vision problems, there are some risks to consider. These include:
- Dry eyes: A temporary feeling of dryness is common after eye surgery, but may persist in some cases.
- Follow-up corrections: In rare cases, it may be necessary to repeat the eye surgery to achieve the desired vision correction.
- Night vision and halos: Some patients report transient problems with night vision and halos around light sources that may occur in the dark. Halos is an optical effect in which bright rings or circles of light are perceived around light sources such as lamps or lights. These circles of light can appear in different colors and are often perceived as disturbing or irritating.
- Not suitable for everyone: LASIK may not be suitable for everyone, so the eye care professional will carry out a thorough examination to determine this.
Laser eye surgery costs
The cost of LASIK surgery can vary greatly depending on several factors, including the location of the clinic, the reputation of the surgeon, the type of laser technology used, and the individual needs of the patient. The cost of having your eyes lasered is between € 800 and € 2.500 per eye on average.
LASIK surgery is therefore not an inexpensive procedure. The statutory health insurance does not contribute to these costs. This is where corporate health insurance can step in. Even if not for the entire amount – it still bears a significant share depending on the tariff, which should make the decision to have your eyes lasered much easier.
However, with corporate health insurance, you can not only be reimbursed for the costs incurred for LASIK surgery, but you can also be reimbursed for many other services that alleviate or prevent discomfort! A clear win-win situation for employers and employees: employers benefit from healthy employees and employees from an attractive offer that covers their (treatment) costs and promotes their health. With YAS.beneFit – the benefit solution for companies – corporate health insurance is combined with a lifestyle and mental health offering, creating even more health for everyone. Learn more now!
- KGS. Die LASIK-Operation. Letzter Zugriff am 06.10.2023 unter: https://www.sehen.de/sehen/operation-statt-brille/lasik-operation/#:~:text=vor%20der%20OP.-,Kosten%20der%20LASIK%2DOperatio,und%202.500%20Euro%20pro%20Auge%20.
- lasik-germany.de. Kosten und Finanzierung einer LASIK-Operation. Last accessed 10/06/2023 at: https://lasik-germany.de/kosten/
- lasik-germany.de. Standard-LASIK – Die seit Jahrzehnten bewährte Methode. Last accessed 10/06/2023 at: https://lasik-germany.de/methoden/standard-lasik/
- SWR (2023). Keine Brille mehr dank Augen lasern – alles rund um die Operation. Last accessed 10/06/2023 at: https://www.swrfernsehen.de/marktcheck/gesundheit/keine-brille-dank-augen-lasern-alles-rund-um-die-op-100.html#Wichtig
- Zentralverband der Augenoptiker und Optometristen (2019). Brillenstudie.
Meditation apps and the promotion of health insurance companies Content How can meditation apps strengthen our psyche and nerves? Health is our most valuable asset
Nudging – Opportunities for health promotion and prevention Nudging – Opportunities for health promotion and prevention Content Berlin, 6th October 2022 – Human behaviour plays